Sunday, June 1, 2008

Journey through Narnia - Prince Caspian Part 7: The Kings and Queens of Old

Okay, I'd meant to post sooner than this, but real-life caught up with me. This post has turned out to be long as a result of having catch-up! Lol!

(Quick note: in a couple of the dialogue quotes today, there are a couple phrases that are not said in my home, but I'm just sticking to the script. Don't worry - if there were any real bad words, I would be using asterisks.)

Today, I'm going to open this with a Bible verse, and I might started doing this often. (All Scripture quotes are from the King James Version, or Authorized Version, unless otherwise stated.)


Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.
- Zechariah 4:6b


I chose this verse to tie in with the end, and it... oh, I was just about to give away the end of this post! You'll find out soon enough. Now, to return to the good old warning...

MAJOR SPOILERS!!

Right about now in the film's progression is when you'll probably start to get annoyed with Peter. I know I did! He acts like a know-it-all when he's trying to get his group to Aslan's How.

Edmund, on the other hand, is satisfyingly penitent about his mistakes during their last stay in Narnia, and stands up for Lucy when she sees Aslan. Trumpkin isn't so annoyingly disbelieving, but he does say: "I'm not going to follow a lion I can't see."

We start to get into the spiritual aspects of the film - bear with me, because from here on out, I'll be doing it often. Trumpkin said that he wouldn't follow a lion he couldn't see. Aren't there people who say the same thing about God here on Earth (as opposed to about Aslan in Narnia)? "I'm not going to follow a God I can't see. How do I know He's even real?"

But more on that later.

I like the way that they changed Lucy's first meeting with Aslan into a real dream, and in the morning, no less. There's still an ethereal quality about it - the filtered golden sunlight in the beautiful patch of forest. And Aslan does look bigger.

It's funny that the way that Caspian and Peter meet is with their swords! Hmm, talk about a foreshadowing of what's to come!

Trumpkin and the rest of the Pevensies enter, and Reepicheep soon follows...


Lucy: (whispering to Susan) "Oh my gosh, he is so cute!"
Reepicheep: (angry, drawing his sword and looking around) "Who said that??"
Lucy: (slightly guilty) "Sorry."
Reepicheep: (penitent) "Oh, uh, Your Majesty. With the greatest respect - (bows) - I do believe courageous, courteous, or chivalrous might more befit a Knight of Narnia." (Twirls his sword as he puts it away.)


Another Weekend in Narnia video on YouTube has a slightly cut clip of this scene (don't forget: it's at the end). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5dU84VDDaw

Caspian takes the Pevensies to Aslan's How. The cavern containing the Stone Table is a beautiful place, telling the story of the Pevensies and Aslan as we know it in Wardrobe. At the center of the wall on the far side of the entrance is a carving of a huge Lion. And on the way in is carving of a Faun with an umbrella by a lamppost - and we hear a short strain of Mr. Tumnus's lullaby.



Peter suggests a raid on Miraz's castle. Edmund points out that though the How may be defensible, the Telmarines can starve them out.


Pattertwig: "We can collect nuts!"
Reepicheep: (sarcastic) "Right! And throw them at the Telmarines!" (annoyed) "Shut up."


(Is saying "shut up" an English thing? Because they sure say it enough in the movie! :P)

Lucy tries to be a voice of caution at the "council of war"...


Lucy: "No, Peter, you're not listening. Or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch?"
Peter: "I think we've waited for Aslan long enough."


If you've already seen the movie, did you hear the warning alarm at this point? I sure did! I was just cringing and thinking, "Oh, Peter, that is just a stupid thing to say!"


Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit...


And yet, Peter thinks that he's waited long enough for Aslan. Lucy was right: Peter had truly forgotten. He thought that he could do it on his own, and he had forgotten that the last time he tried that, he failed. It was only by Aslan's intervention that Peter survived and that the Battle of Beruna was won.

But we can be like that, too. We think that we can go it alone, but, in truth, we can't. Alone, we'll fail - miserably, too. Our good victories come only through God. Without Him, we fail. We always will.

Don't go alone; don't tire of waiting for God. Wait for Him; follow Him. Our victory is by His Spirit.

It's a lesson that Peter learns in a heartbreakingly hard way. Don't make the same mistake.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm... not bad yourself.
I heard dawn treader is coming up next? =)))

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Skyfire said...

Thanks!!
Yeah, I can't wait for the Dawn Treader (my favorite along with Horse and His Boy)! Bring it on!!