Monday, June 9, 2008

Journey through Narnia - Prince Caspian Part 8: Telmarine Intrigue

Quick note before I get started:
I've gotten sporadic in my posts, and I'm sorry. I'll try to do this at least twice a week still, but I have a lot going on right now. Summer is the busiest time of year for me. Today's post is short, but the next one is about the castle raid, and that one is going to be long. So please, just bear with me.


WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS!!

Lord Sopespian isn't very happy, and you can't really blame him. Lord Miraz keeps grabbing up more and more power, and so many seats in the Telmarine Council are empty, due to Miraz's plots.

Sopespian works on bringing General Glozelle into his own conspiracy against Miraz. Glozelle is reluctant at first... until an incident at the Fords of Beruna.

Miraz has had a crew of men building a wide bridge across the Fords of Beruna to cross into Old Narnian territory. The way that you get to see the construction, and the way that the men are chopping down trees at the sight for building is reminiscent (for me) of Isengard in The Lord of the Rings films. I could almost hear the Isengard theme.

Reepicheep apparently led a night raid on the Telmarine supplies. Two regiments worth of armor and weapons gone (although my brother isn't sure that we ever even see the Narnians using the gear). On one supply wagon is a message:


You were right to fear the woods.
- X [Caspian the Tenth]


Miraz is quietly furious about the loss, and he hits Glozelle on the face with a sword hilt. It was a bad move, because Glozelle capitulates now to Sopespian's side.

Now that he can pin the Narnian "uprising" on Caspian - a "renagade" prince - Miraz takes the throne by law. The ceremony scene is subtly chilling.


The Coronation

The film has now become a shade darker.

Coming Next: A Good Plan Gone Wrong

No comments: